Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Journey Never Ends

Once again, it's been a while. Not by choice, really. Not an intended break but a break nonetheless. And suddenly I feel the urge to write again, and I accept it willingly. I don't ask where it's been or why now or even how it could leave me for so long. The fact is, it has arrived -- like the mysterious appearance of a pheasant at our bird-feeder last night -- and I will not question it, but enjoy it while it's here. Who knows how long it will stay before it runs off across the yard and down the block or whether (or when) it will return again.

In each moment, secrets are revealed. New aspects of our journey begin and yet the Journey itself never ends. Education is an ongoing process and the lessons, always. Who are we? Why are we here? What is my path, my purpose? It is natural to ask the questions...and yet, do the answers matter? Is it OK to admit we don't know and humbly continue on with our daily lives?

As cliche as it sounds, I know one thing for sure...change is the only constant. Anyone trying to grasp and cling to things as they are (or actually, to the way we think they should be) surely knows the truth of this. It is like water that runs through our fingers. Beyond this, the other things I choose to believe don't really matter. I like to think that the sun will continue to rise and set, that gravity will continue to keep my feet on the ground, and that this moment -- and what arrives in it -- is what is most worthy of my attention. But in the end, life continues to be life, independent of our expectations or goals or plans; certainly independent of how much we try to control the outcome.

What if we focus on what is here right now? The cloudy day is just a cloudy day. If it rains, it rains. If the sun breaks through, it breaks through. Why waste the energy wishing it were otherwise?

What is available to us in this moment? I say, enjoy it...//

No comments:

Post a Comment