Saturday, October 22, 2011

Breakfast of Champions

OK, let's be honest...roasted sweet potatoes and kale chips are NOT my usual idea of breakfast on a Saturday morning!

How 'bout you??

But the reality is, I have some time and a refrigerator full of food that could be considered on the brink if I wait until the next opportunity I happen upon to clean it out.  So, the island in our kitchen looks like this...
as I process the produce for use this week.  I inherited an enormous head of leaf lettuce, tomatoes and potatoes from the farmer's market on Thursday (one week left of markets around here folks!), the browning bananas can be frozen for smoothies, not to mention the fridge full of apples I need to work through.  I think another apple crisp and some pies for the freezer might be in our future.  A natural result of the processing is the pile for the compost bin, and a couple bags of goodies for my friend Chrisy, who I will be adventuring with later today.  Which leads us to my Eating Philosophy number five: When in doubt, if you can't eat it all, share!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
olive oil, a drizzle over the top, stir to coat
s/p to taste
maple syrup, a light drizzle over the top

bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes

I never intended to make these breakfast -- just hoped to save them for later by roasting them now -- but it smells so gosh darn good in here (I swear, I need to invent Smell-o-Vision!!!), I was forced to improvise.  A perfectly tragic turn of events, I assure you.

How the kale joined the mix is a different story...I keep reading how awesome it is for you, but I can never seem to find a way to make it taste good.  I bought some last week as a challenge to myself to get adventurous but, well, you saw how my week turned out...

Now, the idea of Kale Chips intrigued me. I first read about them on the blog Kath Eats Real Food and I admit that as interesting as they sounded, I never really thought I'd actually give them a try.  But...since the oven was on and the kale was there, I figured what the heck.  To show how optimistic I was, I committed to one whole stalk.  (You can't tell from the picture, but that baking sheet is about the size of a piece of notebook paper...small, small, small.)

I don't know that I'd say they're just like potato chips as I've read, but they're better than I expected.  And in my breakfast concoction of sweet potatoes, savory kale chips and an egg over-easy (with lots of course-ground pepper...love, love, love)...well, let's just say I have a VERY happy tummy right now.
Oh, could I please learn to take the picture BEFORE I start digging in?????

The soundtrack for the morning: Tift Merritt, courtesy of my friend Nik for my big 4-0 last year.  Love her!

Have a most beautiful day!//

No comments:

Post a Comment