Friday, October 7, 2011

Everyone Knows It's Windy

If you're in Minnesota right now, how could you not?  I came home from work to find our Adirondack chairs blown around the yard (yep, they're plastic, not wood or that would be a real feat), my new birthday mum on its side rolling around the driveway, and after the garage was open for a mere five minutes, it is full of leaves.  Even the birds are holding on tightly to the feeders, attempting deftly to eat while they sway.

Whenever the wind blows like this I think of the proverbial winds of change.  In particular, of the clever North wind that blew in the movie Chocolat that called up some deep instinctive need in the main character, Vianne (played by Juliette Binoche) to travel, to move on, to seek out the new.  I wonder, what is today's persistent wind calling for me to do?  For all of us?

The wind serves to stir things up.  To clear out the old and usher in the new.  Today, it reminds me of why I'm investing more energy into the things I'm passionate about (writing, yoga, food and fun, to name a few!), living more fully, risking more, worrying less.  The wind speaks to me about a life that is worth living well, in a way that speaks to my soul, to my deepest longings.  It reminds me that things are not the same forever, that a rut is simply a rut and can be transformed into something inspiring.  Fresh.  Creatively new.  And fun.  If, and only if, we're willing to listen.

In Chocolat we are reminded how important it is to live by intuition, by heart, with passion and a love for the ways we each choose to live our lives, however different they may be, leaving the rules behind.  We each have our own drum, our own things that move us to live our best life.  We're always being called...but will we answer?  Risk the growth and the change necessary to live the life we were meant to live?  The life that is uniquely ours and not the life we think someone else wants us to live?

Everyone knows it's windy...in what ways does the wind call to you?//


What's For Dinner Tonight?

Your guess is as good as mine!  We have errands to run that will take us in a 45 mile radius from home...so armed with our Entertainment book (which may or may not come in handy), and our own grumbly tumblies, we will see where the wind chooses to blow us...

What are you having for dinner tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment