Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Great Escape

Well, our mouse situation seems to be getting a little out of control.  Yesterday morning, I went downstairs to check the traps and there was one in the death trap (hereafter known as DT) and one in one of the live traps (hereafter known as LT).  This after sending T down into the woods after our date on Friday night to set another one free.  (I know. Nice, right??).

Yes, it seems I'm getting a little obsessive about checking the traps multiple times per day.  I can't help it.

Anyway, the little things are so light, sometimes it's hard to tell whether a trap was tripped by accident or whether there's one actually in there.  So yesterday morning, before going outside with the trap, I opened the lid to double-check.  Beady mouse eyes and a twitchy little nose were right at the top staring at me.  Despite myself, I screamed and smousy took a superman leap out of the trap, landed on the floor and ran away.

Grrrrrrr...little rascal!

I burst out laughing -- what a spectacle!  Note to self: never open one of the LT's while still inside the house...

About noon, I checked the traps again (see?  I told you!) and one of the LT's was tripped.  Having learned my lesson, I walked it all the way down into the woods before opening.  I suspect it was the same little shyster because sure enough, the second I opened the top, supermouse leaped from the trap and ran straight up a tree.

Who knew?!

Isn't he CUTE??!?

Now you understand why we have LT's at all...

Since noon yesterday, we've found four more...we're up to twelve in the past five days.  What's interesting -- because I know you're sooooooo interested in the habits of our house mice -- they seem to only travel in two's.  We've got five traps total, and only two are ever full at one time.  Scratching your head yet??!?

Me, too!

I'm hopeful, though...it's been a wild, Animal Kingdom sort of a week, but since this morning, no action whatsoever.  Cross your fingers for me.

And I'll keep you updated...//

What's For Dinner Tonight?
The weather isn't cooperating with my culinary ambitions, so even though it still feels like early fall outside -- it was almost 60 degrees yesterday (!) -- I'm pulling out the big comfort food guns...homemade Mac & Cheese.  My recipe is adapted from Martha Stewart's Favorite Comfort Food cookbook.  One of my favorites!

Macaroni and Cheese
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 c prepared bread crumbs (I used Progresso)
1/4 c flour
3 1/4 c shredded cheese (any combination)
1/2 lb prepared elbow macaroni noodles (can use any favorite noodle)
2 3/4 c milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (less if you don't like-a-da-spice)

This is another recipe that is a little prep intensive but once you start going, it moves fast.


Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Warm the milk in the microwave (about 1 minute on high) and set aside.  Shred cheese and set aside.  Heat water in a medium saucepan to cook the pasta.

Melt 1 Tbsp of the butter in the microwave (about 35 sec on high).

Pour butter over the breadcrumbs and stir to combine.  Set aside.

Melt remaining 3 Tbsp butter over medium heat in a medium saute pan.

Once butter is bubbling, whisk in the flour.  Cook for 1 minute.

After one minute, add the milk slowly, whisking constantly.

Once combined, continue cooking, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens and bubbles slightly.

Take off of the heat, add shredded cheese and stir to melt and combine. Add s/p and spices.


Pour the sauce over cooked pasta...

stir to combine...

pour into a baking dish...

top with bread crumbs.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until the breadcrumbs brown and sauce bubbles.

Serve, enjoy, and SMILE : )

Nighty night!  (I'm off to check the traps...but you already knew that, didn't you?)

No comments:

Post a Comment