Sunday, November 27, 2011

Live Strong

This morning was windy and cold, minus the inch of snow we were supposed to get. We're nearing the day we put up our tree and without any of the white stuff on the ground, it's a little tough to get in the spirit. I guess the tree will have to wait another day.

These guys didn't mind the delay in snow...

I'm sure they're happy to wait for as long as possible.

And since I just planted some spring onions yesterday, I guess I shouldn't complain, either...

...in my jammies, no less! : ) In the end of November!

In Minnesota!

Whodathunkit?

What we were in the mood for this morning was...

...PUMPKIN PANCAKES!

If you recall my post pre-holiday-vacation, pancakes topped the list (or at least frequented it) of fun things to do during our break. This morning was our second pancake morning, albeit our first with pumpkin!

YUM! Look at the color of that batter! Chock full of pumpkiny goodness.

Kodiak Cakes are our new favorite pancake mix. 100% whole grain (because of my job at the bakery, you already know I'm a fan) though they don't taste heavy or tough like you might expect. And they're full of the best, natural ingredients. The most intriguing part is they are so easy! Just add water. How can something this good be that easy??!? I know what you're thinking, but trust me...they are fantastic!

T's even thinking that they're so easy, Kodiak Cakes will make their debut in the Boundary Waters next summer.

Now that's an endorsement!

Just for fun this morning, I thought I'd caramelize some bananas as well. Soooooo good!

Aren't they beautiful?

Just 1 cup of Kodiak Cake mix, 3/4 cup of water and the magical addition of 1/3 cup of pumpkin puree and 1/8 tsp of pumpkin pie spice.

T's plate, ready to go...

...and mine with an egg for protein. I always need an egg if it's a breakfast on the swedish sweet-ish side.

You don't really taste the pumpkin so much, even with the pumpkin pie spice, but it gives the cakes a wonderful, super fluffy texture. Can't beat that.

Our next spontaneous morning adventure involved...

...finishing the Big Build.

And here she is!

A Livestrong LS10.0E with extra wide footbeds for a variety of foot placement,

zero clearance between the pedals so that it's comfortable for both she (5' 5") and him (6' 3"),

and a readout/computer that tracks workout information for two main users and guests. There are 10 different workouts, 20 levels of power incline and a USB stick to go onto Lance's website and download additional workouts to add to the elliptical's computer and the opportunity to participate in their online community.

I never thought I'd say I love a piece of workout equipment but so far, I do. As soon as we got it fully assembled I hopped on. Holy crap am I out of shape!

I love the zero clearance between pedals and the wide footbeds -- this is what I've always hated about ellipticals in the gym. It always seemed like they didn't quite fit. This one?

Like a glove.

What's great is that after a little 20 minute jaunt on this, I was warmed up enough, pumped full of happy endorphins to consider going out in the cold and wind to take Trooper for a walk around the neighborhood.

How could I resist when she got so excited when I was putting my tennis shoes on? Wish I had a picture of the face she made...ears perked and the very tip of her tail wagging. For 13, she's still got some tricks up her sleeve. And was more than happy for a two mile sniffing adventure...despite the wind.

As long as the snow holds and there is no road salt on the ground, this might just get me out in the cold more for walking the pup!

The other cool part of the Livestrong is that a portion of the purchase goes to support the foundation. If we're going to go to the big box store and make a major purchase (where else can you find something like this??), it may as well be benefiting such an important cause.

What feels better about the elliptical at home already is how easy it is to just bust downstairs and put in a few minutes. Even if it's just 20 minutes...15 minutes...10 minutes...it's something. Never a wasted trip -- I used to think that a lot during last fall's gym membership...I wouldn't want to bother changing clothes and going if I didn't feel like I could pull off a full hour of something.

And when you're starting over, so to speak, you've got to start somewhere.

In celebration of my breaking-in session and our walk -- and because T had a bunch of buds over to watch the football game -- I had the last...

...beautiful pumpkin ale of the season.

Sniff, sniff...

...but alas, that means it's time for Winter Ale season! : )

I went to get the guys some 'za's from Papa Murphy's.

Good thing there was a vegetarian in the bunch so I could have my favorite Gourmet Veggie! Thanks, Loren!

After a brief afternoon snooze (what else is a Sunday for??), T built a fire and we snuggled up for our last-evening-of-vacation-oh-crap-we-have-to-go-back-to-work-tomorrow night.

Ah, what an amazing long weekend it has turned out to be.

How are you spending your Sunday night?//

What's For Dinner Tonight?
Our eating schedule is just so far off...a late lunch of pizza means no need for dinner. Maybe a snack before bed?

Perhaps the last pumpkin pancake hanging out in the fridge is calling my name...

Peaceful dreams to one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment